From:
Christopher Dill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:01:04 -0600
My, the discussions that go on when you're out of town at museum meetings.  It took a while to get caught up on all that, and I'm still assimilating.

Lori has managed to slam engineers, museum professionals, parents in general, all government workers, and the lady who prepares her water bill - I hope they don't cut you off :)))   Seriously, I know people who work in government (I'm municipal and spent 25 years in state) who would be terribly offended that you are so high falutin' as to suggest they are NOT doing their job in the water department, trash collection, or driving a bus, because it's a calling.  Some people are called to operate the water system, and you ought to be glad they're inspired about what they do rather than suggesting their work is worthless - yup, you did.  Even the folks who fix the pot holes in your street are proud of their work.

And, as a director who often hires, I will certainly look for passion and drive, but I'm also going to look for what sort of an attitude you have - yours screams "Someone owes me...." and I sure don't need any of that on my team.  I'll fight for higher wages, re-classification, or any other thing which will make my team's wages better, but you don't get in by whining about what I owe you.

Indigo was trying to offer help and shoulder and you kicked her.  TW was right on the mark about value, but why is it Lori thinks I have a responsibility to make her situation better?  I'd be more impressed if Lori told me what SHE was doing to make things better.  Lead, don't push me to do so, since, like Indigo pointed out, you don't know what we ARE doing to make things better.  As Ross said, this subject and all that ire come up more or less annually, and probably will for a long time to come.  Lori, when you get out there and have a chance to make things better, let us know how you did :))  Or even feel free to call on us to help with something if you can do it nicely.

Chris Dill, Superintendent
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street
Greeley  CO  80631