From:
Sarah Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:33:45 -0700
Hi Deb,
We are a small museum on a small campus at a university.  At our university we have a large population of deaf people and are currently trying to make our museum more accessible to this population.  We have recently had a few deaf students and professors come through to give us ideas on how to make it more accessible to them.  We received a lot of feedback and are now trying to implement these ideas into our museum.

One of the suggestions was that because English is not these peoples first language, some of the words and phrases we know, do not make sense to them and should be put into easier terms for them to understand the exhibits.  They also suggested possibly having someone donate their signing abilities and make a video of them going into explaination of some of the exhibits we have.  This is just what popped into my head while reading your post, I hope it helped answer your question a little!

Sarah Rogers
Museum Education Assistant/Volunteer Coordinator
Jensen Arctic Museum
Western Oregon University
Phone - 503-838-8468
Fax - 503-838-8289