From:
David Librik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 04:21:41 GMT
Museum-l folks,

I've been looking for a book I read as a teenager back in the '70s, which
featured a two teenagers inside a museum where the exhibits came alive at
night.  I posted a message on the rec.arts.books.childrens newsgroup but
no one has responded with any shouts of recognition.  Patricia Reynolds
told me that several people here maintain "Museum Literature" lists --
does anyone recognize this book?

The story was this:  a teenaged boy who likes the museum discovers that
many of the museum exhibits have mysteriously moved around overnight.
He stays in the museum at night, along with a teenaged girl, and they
find that all the exhibits have come to life.  The Visible Woman (one
of those transparent anatomical models) and Charles Darwin are among
the reanimated characters.  At one scary point, they are trapped in the
Egyptian Mummy Tomb.  Finally they discover that a Moon Rock recently
acquired by the museum is causing the reanimations.

This book was published in the mid-1970s in paperback.  The front cover
showed the teenaged boy and girl walking down a hallway, followed by the
Visible Woman.  I seem to remember the title as vaguely like "Something
Strange Is Going On Around Here," but that can't be it because a massive
library computer search turned up nothing with any of those keywords.
It wasn't, of course, that Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler book; that had a
totally different plot.

- David Librik