From:
Kristy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:41:32 -0500
You have just described my job and situation!  The only difference is my
title is Archaeologist and Ass't Ed Curator.  The "Director" taught math one
time for a year and now "runs" the museum.  We report to the Parks and
Recreation Dept. who report to the Board of Parks and Rec, who report to the
mayor.  It is the most ridiculous, asinine system I've ever seen and I am
quitting within the month!

We don't even have a budget for staples and are not allowed to apply for
grants because other P & R facilities may be applying and they are more
important!  Our building is overrun with termites, the ceiling is falling
in, and when it rains their is a river through the museum.  No one cares but
me.  It has sit this way for 15 years.  Our entire area consists of 5
registered archaeological sites which the city has bulldozed to build a new
community center (with ice rink and pool) and funded a model train for kids
to ride around on!  The museum has received zero!  We attempted to start a
friends group and where told we could start a friends of Recreation group
but and outside force would have to go to the board wanting to start a
friends group for the museum--and we are to have nothing to do with it.

I know this doesn't help you or your friend, I just want you to know you
have my sympathy and to get out why you can.  Everyone promises to help and
no one does, everyone says "It will be better with the next mayor, the next
council, the next board..." and it never is.  A museum should not be run by
a city or their P & R dept. it is too completely different entities that
don't seem to work well together. We were even told we would have to pay for
and take the CLP (certified leisure professional) test (and we must pass)
because "all of P & R take it".  I made the mistake of asking if we could
instead attend a museum conference or take a class or workshop for our
field.  I was flatly refused!

Sorry, for the length but I appreciate being able to vent to sympathetic
ears!

Good Luck and Get out fast! :-)

--
Kristy Miller
Archaeologist & Assistant Education Curator