From:
Sura Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 08:26:55 -0500
Dear Chris Neal,

  You might look at the paintings of Hubert Robert (late 18th early 19th
century French painter) who represented the 'grand gallerie' of the
Louvre in its different installations between 1793 and c. 1810.  Also,
Gabriel de Saint Aubin made a number of sketches of salon installations
in the late 18th century.  Reproductions of 19th century
installations are found in a variety of books, including TJ Clark's _The
Painting of Modern Life_.  The Terra Museum in Chicago owns a Samuel F.P.
Morse painting that also shows what salon installations looked like.
Finally, some of the 18th century Venetian painters, including Panini,
have installation paintings.  Each will tell you something different
about where objects were placed in the "hierarchy of genres."

  Best of luck,
  Sura Levine
  Assistant Professor of Art History
  Hampshire College