From:
Randy Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:20:29 -0700
Railroad Museums have been struggling with how best to house railroad
collections for many years.

Railroad cars, while designed to be outside deteriorate quickly unless
carefully maintained.  They are large objects.

The problem is two fold.  First protecting the railroad equipment, and
secondly displaying the equipment.  For some years the most common solution
was a pole barn.  This is an agricultural building consisting of telephone
poles set into the soil, with commercial roof trusses generally roofed with
corrugated iron.  Many did not have walls.  If walls were present, they too
were corrugated iron.  Most of the buildings did not have foundations, had
dirt floors, and lacked fire protection or climate control.  Telephone poles
eventually rot.  At least one museum building has burned.

Generally museums closely space the tracks to allow the maximum number of
cars to be stored, which makes them difficult to see.  It is not an issue
for operating museums which can pull the cars out on open days, then put
them away, or for non-public storage of the un-restored, semi derelict cars
that most museums have.

The common current solution is prefabricated steel buildings on a perimeter
foundation, increasingly with fire sprinklers.  These are better buildings
but still have issues as display buildings.

The city of Los Angles build a open sided steel building to house some of
their railroad collection at Travel Town in Griffith park… It has some nice
architectural details making it look like a traditional railroad train shed.
They left enough space between the tracks to allow guests to view the cars.
The railroad Museum of Pennsylvania has large steel buildings.  Again they
space the tracks well, placing smaller artifacts there, so the trains are
visible.  They also have an overhead walkway, and have placed the cars on a
gentle curve, breaking up the “lines of trains”

There are several museums which have adaptively used historic railroad
buildings… Particularly the Savannah George museum, housed in an old
railroad round house and shops, and the Baltimore and Ohio museum, again in
a roundhouse.  The California State Railroad Museum is in the process of
developing a second facility in the 1860’s Central Pacific Railroad
backshops.

There are some railroad specific resources, the Association of Railroad
Museums (ARM, www.arm.org) and Railway Preservation News, (www.rypn.org)

Randy Hees

Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm

City of Fremont, CA

and occasionally at the Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad
Resources (www.spcrr.org)