From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 06:14:52 +0100
I realized after my last post that I neglected one other critical feature of
a commercial service: integrated services.  That is, it does more than mail.
The discussion forums are like news groups but they have a much better
message threading system than I have seen on other services (or on any of
the news readers).  It also provides central and consistent interfaces for
file transfer, software libraries, member lookups, etc.  Again, for the new
user, this is a great way to get going.

>what services are so overwhelming that the
>discussion manager would be compelled to select the commercial provider
>over a discussion list provider that gives "the rest of us" access?

The first is the services the manager can provide to the users.

Second, while I can't speak for the managers, I know if I had to set up an
Internet listserv, I would not have the foggiest idea how to go about it.
And who do I call to find out?  Again, not the foggiest idea.  And if it
doesn't work, who fixes it?  Me, out here in the fog.  I know I could figure
it out, but as a _new_ system manager who wants to provide reliable services
to a limited number of users, I would be very attracted to the high level of
service and support provided by a commercial service.

Just for the record, I do feel that ASTC should be available on the
Internet.  But I am also willing to wait a bit and let the organization get
their feet wet, figure out how this stuff works, and how best to reach
everyone they need to reach.  I know that eventually, I will have access.
Putting their forum on CIS is not a declaration of war, it is a first step
toward joining the Net community.  Give 'em a break.

Enough from me.

Guy Hermann      | Mystic Seaport Museum |  "Technology is lust removed
[log in to unmask]   | Mystic, Conn., USA    |    from nature."  Don Delillo