From:
Sandra Lindermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 15:33:09 -0500
The Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History does provide birthday party opportunities for patrons.  Parties are for children up to 12 years of age and are limited to 20 adults and 20 children.  We provide a birthday party room and set up.  Patrons provide the decorations and food.  The party room is rented for a 2 hour block of time.  During that time, for a set fee, birthday party partiicpants may go anywhere in the Museum and participate in any activities taking place.  Saturday is our family day at the Museum and this is when we have most of our birthday parties.  We have found this to be a good source of continuing revenue.  To date, have had no major problems with any party.  Most common problelm is wanting to bring more children/guests than the number allowed.  We solved this by issuing tickets to the party patron upon payment of fee.

Sandra Linderman
Museum Educator

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/15/02 10:50AM >>>
Hi. I know that when I have mentioned this topic in the past, my colleagues
and classmates thought I was insane. But here is my question:

*How many of you out there in history museums allow birthdays at your
site?
*What do you charge?
*What services do you provide?
*What about liability? Are there health codes you must abide to?
*Has it been a solid source of revenue?

I would appreciate any and all advice--I would even appreciate "eeks."
Please respond to the list.

Elizabeth J. Nohra
Mahoning Valley Historical Society
Youngstown, OH