From:
Nancy Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:06:41 -0400
>>Do you feel that the work done by interns is more often the "dirty work"
or do your museums truly offer staff level experience?
       The best way to ensure a good intern experience is to plan out their
project before their arrival. We restrict "goal-less" projects by giving interns
projects that they can see through to completion. Recent  projects have
included pre-exhibit research and helping organize objects for exhibition.
Even when an exhibit date is a year or two after the inernship, we've given
them an opportunity to participate fully in one aspect of the museum
experience, from the mediocre (phone calls and photocopying) to the
interesting (helping with layout, design and object selection).

Nancy Pope
National Postal Museum - Smithsonian Institution

If the "dirty work" IS in fact being saved
for interns, then how can we expect to increase interest in museum work?
Shouldn't their experiences be similar to what they might encounter as a
museum professional?
Former or current interns AND musuem professionals please reply.