From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:22:18 -0700
Gretchen,

It ultimately depends on how you wish to use these arifacts. In my
opinion they aren't archaeological because they are above-ground and
are not identified with a specific strata or feature - which is
ultimately the basis for archaeological datam. They are closer to a
history or decorative arts type collection but also are unique and
pristine because they were deposited within walls and did not have a
longer subsequent history or provenance. And they are intimately
associated with architecture but do not comprise architectural
fragments.

I would say that they are probably closest in context to your
curatorial collections - they would make a fascinating exhibit if you
could recreate the wall section where they were found - visitors
absolutely love these sorts of discoveries! (and I have met a few
people who read the news about these sorts of finds and immediately
went home to open up some walls in their old houses!).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator