From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:11:34 -0600
for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.......

I would encourage people everywhere to think "inclusion".  Please do not
think about creating programs for people who are deaf.  And oh, gosh, now we
have to create programs or materials for people who are blind or have low
vision.  Oooops, then we have to create things for people who use
wheelchairs or scooters!

This creates an incredible amount of work and is extraordinarily labor
intensive.

Please think about creating inclusive programs, materials and services.
This will not only add depth and breadth to your museum, but create a far
more enjoyable visitor experience.  Let me explain.....

When I headed up the education department at Lincoln Park Zoo, I also
formalized the universal access initiative there. I established an advisory
board of members from the community (Mayors Office for People with
Disabilities, Univ of Illinois Dept of Disability and Human Development, rep
from Lighthouse for the Blind and Chicago Hearing Society and so on).....I
worked with an architect especially trained in the Americans with
Disabilities Act to develop a Transition Plan for all public spaces on zoo
grounds (contained things that were not accessible, suggestions for change,
estimated cost and level of priority to be done).  The Transition Plan took
about 6 months to complete -- a great document for fundraising, with which
to educate staff and to refer to when re-designing physical space.

I conceptualize and implemented disability awareness training for all zoo
staff and all volunteers. We reviewed the Americans with Disabilities Act
(briefly) and then talked about various medical conditions and diagnoses.  I
suggested  effective ways to interact with people who had those conditions.
There was a marked change in how staff and docents interacted with visitors
with disabilities following that training.

 As head of education, I provided training to my 16 educators -- specifially
how to work with people who have developmental disabilities, learning
disabilities, physical disabilities, etc.

I worked with staff in guest services to acquire motorized scooters for
those visitors with mobility or endurance problems.  I worked with graphics
and communications staff to re-design the zoo map -- to simplify the
existing map and make it almost 15 times larger so it could contain large
print, higher contrast colors, simpler design.  Yes it can be expensive, but
I wrote grants to cover those costs.  I also translated the zoo map/legends
and zoo guidebook into Braille, working with The Lighthouse for the Blind in
Chicago.

There is lots more that was done, but finally, I worked with the graphics
dept to design a brochure on "Universal Access at Lincoln Park Zoo".  It
highlighted why it was important and identified everything the zoo had to
offer the visitor with a disability.....so that everything was in one
document -- tri-fold about 6" x 9" when folded.....great colors, etc. ---
this brochure was then available at the information center on zoo grounds.
It was also distributed to Board members, volunteers, staff, etc., schools,
community agencies, special advocacy groups, hospitals and recreational
therapy depts at rehab centers, etc.........

If you approach universal access as an inclusive process and phase in
projects over the years, you will be much happier with your result and your
progress.

Please feel free to give a call or an email if you have questions.

Kind regards,
Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
Principal