Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:54:57 -0600
CELAFI (Celebrating African Identity:  Entering the Millennium)
in partnership with Harbourfront Centre presents

DESIGN AFRICA '97
July 11-August 24, 1997
Opening Friday July 11, 1997  5:30-7:30 pm at York Quay Gallery, 235
Queen's Quay West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Design Africa '97 presents a celebration of contemporary African and
Canadian artists and designers from across Canada, South Africa and the
WEst Indies.  Design Africa '97 is one of the first exhibitions of its
kind to present the experiences of and imagines the future for
contemporary African artists and designers.  There is a wide range of art
works in the form of everyday objects that enrich our lives on a daily
basis.  This exhibition offers the general public a rare opportunity to
explore art objects from the clothes and accessories we wear to the
musical instruments we play.  Design Africa '97 will feature the works of
artists and designers including:  Anthony Benoit, Jan Crick, Ishama,
Lilison, Tony Reid, Jean Damascene Rwiyamilira, Yvon Villarceaux, and
Phyllis Walker.  Curator:  Scott Marsden

CELAFI conference and festival is organized by the Canadian Artists
Network:  Black Artists in Action (CAN:BAIA).  CELAFI acknowledges the
generous support of the Canada Council, City of Toronto Economic
Development Partnership, Department of Canadian Heritage, Human Resources
Development Canada, Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation,
Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, Ontario Arts Council, Toronto Arts
Council, and the South African Consulate.

For more information on DESIGN AFRICA, contact me (Scott Marsden) by
e-mail ([log in to unmask]).  For information on CELAFI, or CAN:BAIA,
call 416-703-9040.