From:
Matthew Nickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 09:36:20 +1100
Scienceworks is a new Science centre recently opened in April 1992. Since
that time over 800,000 visitors have been through the doors. There are 28
touch screen systems on a network. The touch screens are the IBM 8516
specifically designed touch display monitor i.e. the touchscreen is a
transducer system which is an integral part of the monitor. It is
purpose built and not an add on! It looks, feels just like a normal monitor
and you cannot tell the difference.

We have a system where the visitor support staff clean the monitor face
each morning( a simple wipe with a damp (water is best) cloth). The
monitor has its own calibration program and is calibrated once a month
or earlier if it needs to be done. (someone needs to design an
international standard finger for this)

There have been very few problems and our backup monitor is installed if
needed ( a simple changeover ). We have had other systems in the other
campus of the museum and I ran a Sony View system (purchased in 1988 and no
longer produced) with an infrared touchscreen for 3 years with no downtime
at all ( of course not a very accurate system but did the job required).

The previous discussion on this point re downtime is a very significant in
times of diminishing budgets. The above monitor can be run on IBM
compatible computers as well thereby reducing the cost but is very
competitive compared to some of the figure being stated for add on touch
screens.

I should state that this system was not of our choice but ended up as a
result of sponsorship. In hindsight with the minimum downtime and
thumping from the large crowds we have no complaints. This is not a
commercial but reality.

Matthew Nickson

*         Matthew Nickson          *  Photographic Archive Project  *
*  [log in to unmask]  *          Scienceworks          *
*        fax:  +61 3 392 4848      *       Museum of Victoria       *
*          2 Booker St, Spotswood, Melbourne, Australia, 3015       *