From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:23:39 -0700
I work at a large Living History Park, with over 35 period and reconstructed buildings
(including a church, large gristmill, social hall, hotel, bank, stores, blacksmith shop,
at least six log-cabins, barns, etc., and situated on over 440 acres).  In the past,
we had film makers coming to us to film, and it was $500 per day.  The Park
was basically turned over to them.  There was no care of artifacts (someone watching
over them) and they were allowed in the buildings to do at will.   When I came on
board, that ended.   The film crews are now under contract, charged for pre-walk,
time of staff involved, no artifacts are to be touched, and each building is charged
depending on its size and what it contains.  I worked with the Business
Manager to set up a contract for the film companies, and basically we are
charging $1,500 per day just for a shooting in the village.  <<Where else can they
get such historic pictures?>>  Buildings then range from $250 to $1,000 each.
A credit card number is obtained, a time-schedule of shooting, and $1,000,0000
insurance coverage, etc.  Some readers may think we are high, but some historic
buildings in town go for over $3,000 a night, and very restrictive.

For wedding shoots, it is different.....we usually rent out the church or social
hall for weddings at $700 per building.  Another Living History Park
nearby, rents out their barn by-the-quarter of a day at $350 for each quarter.
I believe they make about $80-90,000 per year on rentals.  A museum in Washington
has a kitchen it also caters for weddings and events.   There is also costs associated
with rentals ~~ security, staff, cleaning, etc.  But you can include that in your
contract.   For a regular picture shoot for a private couple using the historical
setting of the Park, we would be fluctuating on this...from $50.00 on up.   John Martinson