From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:57:06 -0700
The Rotary Club of San Jose has been sponsoring transportation to "science
or math venues in the City of San Jose" for more than 10 years. You will
find detailed information on the program at http://www.sjrotary.org/yes.htm.

One year, the Rotary made a grant to The Tech specifically to support
transportation and we have included transportation support in a number of
our grants for reaching underserved youth. When we administer the funds, we
pre-approve the expense, have the group arrange the transportation, then
reimburse upon receipt of a paid invoice. Generally, reimbursement has been
limited to between $3 and $5 per student, depending on the funding source.
In every instance, we have found it difficult to get eligible groups to
submit their invoices. (This baffles me a bit.)

In 1999 and 2000, when I was Evaluation Manager here at The Tech, we
conducted surveys of teachers to find out (among other things) their
perception of barriers to visiting The Tech. In 1999, 51% indicated that
transportation was difficult to arrange and in 2000, 70% indicated that this
was a challenge. Educators who previously had brought their classes to The
Tech were somewhat less likely to consider this a problem.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Director, Tech Challenge Learning Programs
The Tech Museum of Innovation     [log in to unmask]
145 W San Carlos St.              408-795-6303
San Jose, CA  95113               fax 408-279-7167
http://www.thetech.org/