From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 16:05:11 -0400
Having been involved in a number of building projects in the past, and
currently as a Trustee of an historic house museum, the Chair of our Planning
and Expansion Committee, may I recommend books/articles that I have found to
be useful?

The Manual of Museum Planning, edited by Gail Dexter Lord and Barry Lord,
 HMSO: London, 1991

Museum Design  Planning and Building for Art by Joan Darragh and James S.
Snyder, Oxford University Press in association with The American Federation
of the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts, New York and Oxford,
1993.

"Building strategy for museums and galleries" by Ian Caldwell in The
International Journal of Museum Management and Curatorship, 3, 1984: pp. 327
- 335.

The Cost of Collecting by Barry Lord, Gail Dexter Lord and John Nicks, HMSO
Books: Norwich, 1989

"The Museum Planning Process" by Barry Lord and Gail Dexter Lord in Museums
Journal LXXXVII no 4, March 1988

Museums and Art Galleries - A Design and Development Guide by Geoff Matthews,
Butterworths Architecture, London

"Specification for minimal maintenance" by Douglas Wise in The International
Journal for Museum Management and Curatorship, 3. 1984, pp. 357 - 362.

You may have already seen these, and I hope that they help.  I am sure that
there are other books/articles out there as well.  Good luck.

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.
210 Little Falls Street, Suite 203