From:
Franklin J Headley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 10:15:24 -0500
David,

I can agree that there are many points of view, but I think that it is
simplistic to argue that are merely two, polar, irreconciliable ones.  I
also agree that the all historians take a point of view and are biased
and that this is a good thing.  What concerns me about the former House
Historian is that she believes that a curriculum she was reviewing was
not offering enough of the point of the Nazis, and that as it stood, it
only had a limited appeal to a small religious minority (she meant
Jews).  I think it possible in an exhibit or a curriculum to discuss the
paranoia and antisemitism which led to the Holocaust, but I dont think it
would be helpful to perpetuate the myths of a Jewish conspiracy without
instantly undermining them with the facts (and I, unlike some historians
who have been mesmerized under the influence of poststructuralism, believe
there are still real, verifiable historical facts).

With the Enola Gay exhibit, I think this should be displayed with an even
handed discussion of how this plane helped to inaugurate the atomic age
and the destruction the bombs caused in Japan.  But I dont think there is
any need to apologize for the bomb nor to neglect the fact that it saved
countless American lives in what would have been a lengthy invasion.

Franklin Headley