From:
Kris Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:39:10 -0600
Speaking without experience evaluating discovery rooms, but experience as a
user with my four year old, when the room "works" for me, my daughter is
engaged, I am engaged and sometimes we are mutually engaged in activities.
So I would look at both adults and children, are they involved in
activities, are they talking to each other?  What types of conversations
are going on and between who (are activities sparking family discussions,
questions, etc.) Are volunteers being asked a lot of questions? What kinds?
Are there adequate resources that they can explore their questions.

Also, if it fits the goals of the room, you could also look at the
relationship between activities in the room and activities in the
galleries.  Do the activities in the room spark references to things they
saw in the galleries, etc.

I think the most important thing in your evaluation efforts is to make sure
you are tying your questions to the goals of the room. . . ie affective
goals, social interaction, engagement etc. are probably more important than
specific factual  information.

good luck.

Kris Morrissey, Ph.D.
Curator of Interpretation