From:
Elizabeth Eubanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:16:31 -0500
Hello,

Does anyone have or know of an extant Chief's coat, also known as Trade coats?  I am doing research on these coats, which were manufactured for and traded to the Native Americans.  They were usually made in the military style in blue or red wool, often with contrasting facings, and lots of metallic trim.  Lewis and Clark mention giving one to a Sioux chief and list them in their inventory.  They are also listed in numerous fur trade company inventories.  Several archeological examples have been found, one of which got me interested in them to start with.  To date, however, I have not found an extant one that is unaltered from it's original manufacture by traders.  The only one I know of is heavily embellished with beadwork (in the collection of Harvard's Peabody Museum).

Thanks to all for any help on this.  Also, if you know of another group where this query might be appropriate, please let me know.

Beth Eubanks
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution