From:
Daphne Nash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:41:22 EDT
Hi all,

I've never posted to the list before, but this choice/compensation question
discussion has prompted me to offer my experience:

I have an MA, have volunteered and worked in many museums, small art
galleries etc.  I made a committment to the field because it is a joy.  That
being said, I always knew that a time would come when I might need to leave
the field for a time due to financial needs/ other life commitments.  I
didn't realize that I would leave at age 29, as a single person in NYC,
because I was fed up with low-pay and lack of health care. At the time, I
assumed my education and training would be relegated to weekend activites
(expensive training, right?!)  But I did, and here I am 2 years later.

And guess what?  It was the best thing I could have done.  I have spent the
last year thinking about how to go back into the field in a capacity that
will meet my financial needs as well as my intellectual needs.  It is a
compromise that I am happy to make, having now worked in the non-profit and
for-profit worlds. The grass is always greener on other side - no matter
which side you are on. You have to be ok with the choices you make - and the
consequences.

I can only offer to those who are conflicted about these issues - take a
break; try something else out.  You never know where you'll end up.

Daphne Nash
MA, Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts
Project Manager, Doublespace