From:
"Dana C. Street" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:24:24 -0500
Hello all,

We have an item in our collection which has great historic value and
which we intend to use as a marketing tool.  In reviewing our accessions
records we find that the object was only loaned to us back in 1948 and
as far as we know was not otherwise given to us as an official gift to
the collections.  We do have a letter from the donor from 1958
requesting a letter from the Museum confirming that this item was only
given as a loan, in the event that any future family members may wish to
repossess the item.  Unfortunately we do not have a copy of the
requested letter if it was written.  There are a few family members
living in the community and some feel that it is time to approach them
about the situation but are unsure of just how to proceed.   I should
note that our current collections policy states that items loaned to the
Museum become permanent gifts to the collections after a period of five
years (unless other arrangements have been made) - a scary thought in
itself!  But this was undoubtedly not the case when the item came to us
in 1948.  Has anyone had a similar experience who would be willing to
share or give some guidance on this?

thank you,
Dana Street
--