From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:27:09 -0400
sometimes some artifacts are just too valuable to take the chance and be
stored on a shelf. The temptation of theft can be too great - especially if
you have periodic tours of the collections storage areas.

for instance we own many Victoria Cross's - the highest militiary honour
that can bestowed on a member of the commonwealth. some of these medals are
worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. they are also reasonably small and
very easily portable. for these reasons they are kept in a safe, in a locked
room in a secure building with a variety of security measures. We also own a
small collection of jewellery and watches - these are kept in a locked
cabinet, but not a safe.

Sometimes it just makes sense to go that little further distance with
culturally or monetarily valuable artifacts, but as with all things -
commonsense should prevail.

Carol Reid
Canadian War Museum