From:
John Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:00:32 -0400
Marcia,

The geothermal opportunities in Iceland are unique. If you are contemplating
a project in in an area where there is not a lot of geothermal activity, you
can still utilize geothermal systems in your building. There are heating and
cooling systems on the market now that use water that is circulated through
a network of pipes installed at a certain depth below ground. The water is
circulated and re-circulated, picking up some warmth in the winter and some
cooling in the summer. The overall effect is the reduction of energy use by
taking advantage of geothermal heat exchange. I don't know of any museums
that currently use such a system. However, I'm working on a new museum now
(in West Virginia) that had planned to use this type of system, but omitted
it to save some money on the initial cost of the building. There is
considerable extra expense to install this type of system. A cost vs benefit
analysis can usually determine whether or not this type of system is
feasible. If you want some more details on the project I mentioned, please
let me know. I'm the exhibit designer on the job, so I've only been
tangentially involved in the heating and cooling systems. But I might be
able to direct you to folks that would know more.

- John Moser
  Moser Productions, Inc.
  804-515-7640