Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 1994 15:53:55 EST
Thanks to all those who sent suggestions on how to document a historic site
which has artifacts left in situ.  Since several people asked me to forward
the information I am sending this summary of the suggestions to the list.
If you don't remember this request was posted for John Staicer, project
director at the Schroeder saddletree factory in Madison, Indiana, and John
wanted some way to record exactly the plethora of artifacts were in the
woodworking shop of the factory because this might be the only source of
information about the day-to-day physical activities that occurred there.
Unfortunately John's budget will probably not allow him to pursue some of these
suggestions :(

--use of archaeological stratigraphy methods, including making section drawings
       on mylar which can be stacked
--video documentation with voice over, augmented by photographs
--video documentation with digital image analysis
--close range terrestrial photogrammetry using stereo photographs

Contacts suggested:
Charles Hummel, Winterthur Museum, who did work on the Historic Dominy workshop
The Early American Industries Association
Joe S. Hays, Museum of the Great Plains, Lawton, Oklahoma who is recording a
    trading post left in situ

Books suggested:
_Practices of Archaeological Stratigraphy_ edited by E. Harris, M. Brown, and
      G. Brown, 1993

_Handbook of Heritage Photogrammetry_ pub. by Australian Heritage Commission.

Henry Glassie on documentationof objects within standing structures.

If you can suggest any other names to me of people who have done this sort of
documentation, I will pass them on to John.

Carolyn Brady

                              |  "Death seems to provide the minds
 [log in to unmask]    |  of the Anglo-Saxon race with a greater
 MA program in Public History ü  fund of innocent amusement than any
  Indiana University at       ü  other single subject."
     Indianapolis             |
                              ü              --Dorothy L. Sayers