From:
kevin mccartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:07:15 EST
  Yes, you are looking specifically for slate.  A couple of ideas:

  1) There was an article some two or three years ago in _Yankee_ magazine
about a slate quarry that had just reopened in Maine.

  2) You should be able to use the slate from beneath the felt on an old
billiard table.  I wouldn't know if that would typically be "blackboard
grade" but it would have a planar cleavage and I would think would fill your
needs.  It would certainly be large enough.

Kevin McCartney, Ph.D.
Associate Prof., Geology
Director, Northern Maine Museum
  of Science (opens October 5)