From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:43:56 -0700
Hi there!

--- John Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think we really need something more visual and apparent to anyone
> regardless of their knowledge of our collections. Any ideas? Thank you
> in advance.

At the house I work at, our stuff is either obviously antique or modern. For
chairs, we take a length of red ribbon weighted down with a washer draped over
the chair. This doesn't distract too much from the chair and keeps people off
of it. (Supposedly - the public can be stupid. :)

Our living history programs are mainly done outside with their own separate
stuff so we don't worry too much about getting things confused. There are some
things like antique cauldrons that we don't use but we do handle as they're not
going to break. The antique spinning wheels and looms we use but only let
trained people on them.

You could probably use ribbons on the antiques that aren't to be used or use a
piece of string or yarn tied onto the object so people know not to use it. Or
put one on an entire shelf or table if everything on it is not to be used.

Good luck!!

Deb