From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 02:35:25 +0000
Hi Todd - We have organized the print and video materials for our distance
education course 'Introduction to Museum Studies' in the following way.
Participants normally begin this course in September and work through the
sections over our Fall and Spring Terms. They have regular access to a tutor
here on campus, and are asked to volunteer with a museum if they are not
already working in one. We've been offering this course since 1985, and
the current version was completely revised in the summer of 1994.

I hope this is useful for your survey.

INTRODUCTION TO MUSEUM STUDIES
HA 486 (3.0 units)
Section I: Museums: An Introduction
Unit 1  Toward a Definition of Museums
Unit 2  The Museum Continuum
Unit 3  Professional Directions
Unit 4  The Museum Community

Section II: Collections
Unit 1  Collecting and Curatorship
Unit 2  Managing Collections
Unit 3  Managing Information
Unit 4  Beyond Collections

Section III: Conservation
Unit 1  Conservation Principles and Ethics
Unit 2  Providing a Safe Environment
Unit 3  Handling with Care
Unit 4  Assessing Conservation Requirements

Section IV: The Public Partnership
Unit 1  Communicating with the Public
Unit 2  Defining Communities
Unit 3  Program Development
Unit 4  Marketing

Section V: Exhibitions
Unit 1  Principles and Policy
Unit 2  Planning Exhibitions
Unit 3  Design and Development
Unit 4  Exhibition and Program Evaluation

Section VI: Management
Unit 1  Governance and Management
Unit 2  Museums and the Law
Unit 3  Finances