From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 16:15:33 MST
With regard to my post on closed captioning.  I only mentioned my low pay to
underscore the fact that when I DO spend money on a tape then I am very, very
choosy about the tapes that I purchase.  Also, I said I had "about decided"
to purchase only tapes which are closed captioned-- which is not the same
thing as "having decided" or "having proceeded to do."  I said I had "about
decided" to purchase only those tapes -- and I am quite sure that there are
excellent tapes which meet my content needs and which are also closed
 captioned --which are close captioned  because (1) I have students who are
deaf or hard-of-hearing and (2) I want to encourage the production of learning
 materials which are inclusive rather than exclusive with regard to special
education needs (and what one chooses to purchase or not purchase can be
powerful encouragement). By the way, I'm willing to pay more for captioning --
I do not mind paying $200 or $300 for a tape I believe fits my content needs
and is suitable for my students, including those who are hard of hearing.
However, there are also videos which have transcripts available.  I see that
as another alternative to captioning.  I'm also quite sure that there are
plenty of excellent tapes which meet my content needs and which have
transcripts available.  Believe me, I have given my students far more than
most of the part-time or full-time instructors give them.  I don't know of
any other instructor at the colleges I teach at who has paid out-of-her/his-
pocket (no reimbursement) for as many tape rentals as I have.  And, I have
gone to the expense of renting tapes because of my dissatisfaction with
departmental tapes.  So, fellow poster, my students are NOT being shortchanged
at all.  So there!  Jan, [log in to unmask]