From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:37:30 -0500
Dave,

Absolutely. Every culture considers them in some way or other, and has as
far back as written history can tell us. I meant that I am unaware of any
religion(s) that explicitly involve the worship or consideration of the
manifestations we normally refer to as "ghostly". Souls, spirits, life
energies, yes, but physical manifestations of those spirits no. I am of
course not categorically aware of all religions and metaphysical points of
view, so I could be missing one or two. I perceive a huge difference
between a ghost and a soul, althought the term "spirit" is a little more
transitional.

I think the ghost phenomenon dovetails nicely with science and rational
thought. As a popular culture phenomenon, the belief in and search for
ghosts follows the cultural and technical lines of whatever age we look at.
I do not think that has any bearing on the predominance of science in our
age. I think the trend is a reflection of that predominance, that people
are fascinated with attempts to demonstrate the existence of such
beings/energies. Their substantive reality is not relevant, and not
injurious to rational thought. The attempt to prove something that can not
be proven by definition is simply foolish, but ghosts walk the fine line
between reality and imagination. The notion that they can be seen and felt
is something that can be tested, whether or not that has any bearing on the
existence of a "ghost" itself. The very technologies used to "test" for
such metaphysical phenomenon are themselves works of popular culture and
direct reflections of the perceptions of the ghostly phenomena.

I did not intend to imply that a belief in ghosts or the desire to
prove/disprove them derives from boerdom. I am just wondering if the
ratings boost derives from that, or if there is a real desire for people to
"know".

Thanks.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             David Harvey
             <top10denverdave@
             AOL.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: Ghosts at historic sites

             09/07/2005 10:44
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Mark,

I think that there has been a deep belief and attraction to ghosts
throughout human history that is pan-cultural and pan-religious. Even
if ghosts are not considered the same as "spirits" you will find that
it is a deep folk-belief that exists no matter the religious
orientation of the society / culture or individual.

Just think of the use of ghosts in Shakespeare's Hamlet or in ancient
Greek or Roman literature. This strong belief and attraction persists,
and even thrives today even given the supposed predominance of science
and rational thought (Are we the grandchildren of the Enlightenment?).

So, I don't think that this is recent or arises from boredom. It is
something that is deeply rooted in the human soul and is probably part
of what Jung called "The Collective Unconscious".

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator