From:
"Enright, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:33:15 -0500
Hello, Jane-

In my opinion, the style of questioning that you are doing is very
appropriate. You are encouraging the viewer to think and look closely.
What's wrong with that?

In the example you gave, most of the questions can be answered by looking at
the art in question. In the last question you ask, however, you are asking
the viewer to compare the depiction of daily routines in the image with
depictions "elsewhere". What do you mean by this? Elsewhere in the exhibit,
or "elsewhere" in general? This is the only question that I can see
frustrating the visitors because they might not have the information at
their disposal to answer it.

Good interpretation is based on the resource at hand. Good interpretation
also  provokes thought and encourages further learning. I think that a
questioning approach can be very effective towards this end. Of course, if
overused, it will lose its effect. If there are 5 questions in each panel,
the visitor may very well stop thinking in favour of a more passive
approach. Is this what your manager is worried about?

Don Enright
Coordinator, Thematic and Cultural Programs
National Capital Commission
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada