From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:40:41 EDT
>Does this have something to do with the curators domain being
>largely male (I know this is changing) and the education domain being
>largely female?

>Kathrine Walker

Here in DuPage County Illinois, there is one male curator in our informal
curator's round table and there are 14 female curators. (All professionally
trained and possessing advanced degrees) Attendees of the Midwest Museums
Conference often comment that there is a preponderance of female curators in
this region. The Educator at our county museum is male as was his predecessor.
The former head of the education department of the largest outdoor musuem in the
county is male. He is currently the educator at a nature education site.

I'd certainly like to see some REAL numbers comparing levels of education,
gender, job title, and salary.

Diane Gutenkauf, Curator
Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue