From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:02:51 -0700
Anne,

I work for a blueprint firm so I think I can give a
bit of advice.  Large flatbeds can occupy a lot of
space.  Dealing in contemprary prints, the fragility
of the object isn't so much of an issue, thus we run
roller-driven scanners as you have described.  We
primarily use Xerox brand devices, but others like
OCE, Vidar, etc. are all there.

One important note about purchasing large format
devices, they can be immensely expensive, not to
mention the normal service contracts that usually come
with them.

Older historical documents would be recommended for
flatbed thats understandable, but I dont think you
need to worry too much about newer documents unless
you are going to a general copying place (i.e.
Kinko's, etc.).  In a large-format firm, you would
want to find a large format flatbed, if not at least a
firm that has dealt with fragile documents.  Even
though a large-scale production firm, I tend to be the
person consulted whenever anything old comes through
the door.  Any decent firm will have a least one
person like that.

Hope this helps some way.

--- Anne Lewellen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience with large format
> scanners / copiers? Any
> recommendations on brands or models? I am looking
> for something that can
> scan a very large (24" x 36") document. I'm thinking
> that a flatbed scanner
> would be better for our historic maps and drawings,
> as I cringe watching
> our newer drawings go rolling through the drum of a
> commercial scanner at
> the local copy place. Any thoughts on copying large
> historic documents in
> this manner?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Anne R. Lewellen
> Museum Curator
> Timucuan Ecological & Historic Preserve
> National Park Service

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Cheers,

Brad Holderman
619.994.6686
"Dear Jack, We have a ship, Surprise, for the East Indies, and must join at Plymouth instantly..."

You can find me at: