From:
Arne Tengelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 02:54:50 -0500
>Arne,
>
>Thanks for the thoughtful perspective of a non-museum person with a
>specialty that we really should know more about.  I found many of your
>ideas very intriguing, and have already shared them with a collegue.
>Thanks for having the courage to jump into a specialty listserve as an
>outsider....
>
>Lucy Skjelstad

Lucy,

Thank you for your kind words.

Several subscribers sent me enthousiastic emails in response to my ideas.
If even one museum benefits from my input, then I did the right thing.

It may even have created several new opportunities for "entrepreneurs"
within the museum field who can set up interesting activities that will at
the same time benefit their museum and community. That would be nice.

Obviously, it is a lot easier for me as an outsider, with a totally different
experience, to add a new dimension to it. It just did not make sense that
there would be no workable solutions - especially with all these intelligent
museum people making such great efforts.

Many of my ideas come from developing global business cooperation.
I have built several international networks, each with members in 50+
countries. Different cultures, languages and business methods was no
deterrent. Some members had 4,000 employes, others only 10, but this
kind of cooperation was beneficial to all members.

Two months ago I offered a total stranger overseas some help via email.
He owns a top quality garment factory, but I did not know at that time. My
purpose was to help him with something else. Then something happened.
I always had a dream of making my own global brandname, but my lack
of garment production stopped me from going ahead. My new contact is
designing a complete new collection just for my company - free of charge.
I did not ask - he insisted. How can such trust be built in just 2 months?

Similar things have happened to me many times in life. Is there a secret?
Not really. My belief is simply that the more you give - the more you get.
Helping people is a good way to make friends.

Nothing to do with museums you say. True, but everything to do with
helping other people realize their dreams, which until now seemed almost
impossible. I think the same can be said about museums, businesses and
people cooperating for mutual benefits. That is my humble opinion.

Regards
Arne Tengelsen

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
>detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
>e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).