From:
Steve Eichner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:39:20 -0400
On Friday, there was some discussion about how messages are approved for
distribution to the list.

There seems to be some confusion as to when and how a message is confirmed
(and by whom).

IMPORTANT!!!*******************************************************
When sending a message to museum-l, please make the assumption that once you
hit the "SEND" button your message will be distributed to the list.
Automatic requests for CONFIRMATION are simply a tool to help prevent
SPAMMING of the list and are explicitly NOT a chance to review your note.
Please review your message PRIOR to pressing the "send" button.
IMPORTANT!!!*******************************************************

Messages come to the list from both subscribers and non-subscribers.

Until messages are distributed to the list, they are held in a queue. All
messages from non-subscribers are reviewed by ONLY by one of several
moderators (in round-robin fashion).

All messages sent from subscribers' email addresses have requests for
CONFIRMATION (not APPROVAL) automagically sent to the subscriber's email
address AND are put in the moderator's queue for review. The message sent to
the sender is:

"The MUSEUM-L list  has been configured to request explicit  confirmation of
all messages posted  to the list, for  security reasons. You must  now
confirm
that the enclosed  message did  originate from you.  To do so,  simply reply
the present message and type "OK" (without the quotes) in the text of your
message, or click on  the link below. If this  does not work, or if the
message did
NOT originate from you, contact the list owner for assistance."

Please note that there is no mention of APPROVAL. Either the sender OR a
member of the moderating team can (and may) approve the note.

Moderators do not, for the most part, analyze the tone of the message.
Instead, they review messages to prevent SPAM (pornographic messages,
solicitations, etc.) and messages that are completely off-topic. Personal
attacks are generally an exception to this rule, as is the use of
inappropriate language, although some comments may still be distributed to
the list (apologies in advance).

It is not unusual to have 30 or more messages per day hit a moderator's
email inbox.

On rare occassions, a moderator MAY question a whether a message should be
distributed even if it is museum-focused (especially if they know the
individual or institutions involved) and prevent the message from being
distributed.

AGAIN,

When sending a message to museum-l, please make the assumption that once you
hit the "SEND" button your message will be distributed to the list.
Automatic requests for CONFIRMATION are simply a tool to help prevent
SPAMMING of the list and are not intended as an approval mechanism.

Please feel free to email me (or call me) if you need to cancel a message to
the list. I can't promise that another moderator hasn't already approved it,
but I will certainly try to prevent the distribution of your note. Once it's
been distributed, it cannot be recalled.

I hope this clarifies the issue. As always, we welcome your feedback.

Yours,

Steve

"What is essential is invisible to the eye." - The Little Prince's fox
Steven Eichner
ph: 703.591.8911