From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:19:26 -0700
Just for the record, these two posts seem awfully
contradictory.  If you went through Jeanne and
Francis, you're in Florida.  If you say that going to
a museum is the last thing on their minds, then you're
inferring that their survival, homes, and health are
on their minds.

But then you're indirectly suggesting that it's not a
good idea to make a contribution to an agency that
could help them in that regard because the whole
dollar might not make it to the intended recipients.

It's not exactly how you said it, but the inferrence
is still there.

I'm wondering how concerned you were when countless
Americans made contributions for Florida relief last
year?  I was there for Jeanne, but I made a
contribution earlier in the year to Florida
Hurricane Relief through Jeb's website, and I was
safely at home in California.

I don't think any organization--health & human
services or museum--can say 100% goes to the
programs. There are salaries and overhead costs
attached to any fundraising efforts.  You're never
going to see the dollar flow directly through, and
it's naive to think so.  If an outside agency is doing
the funding for you, there's an incremental cost as
well.

There have been significant and deserved gripes of
late about outside fundraising groups accruing far
too much benefit for the funds received.  Congress has
been examining that in the last several months, and
is putting the brakes on it.  If you're really
interested in the topic, you can probably ferret info
from the Foundation Center http://fdncenter.org

Recent efforts include:
http://fdncenter.org/pnd/news/story.jhtml?id=110300035
http://fdncenter.org/pnd/news/story.jhtml?id=100000002

For reference, I post excerpts from the Foundation
Center, funding sources, and other nonprofit
development info on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseFunding

--- unlisted <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> personally going through hurricanes jeanne and
> francis
> i can tell you one thing - going to a museum is the
> LAST thing on their
> minds right now.
>

> > > re: charity donations
> > >
> > > does anyone have the exact percentage of money
> > that
> > > is actually used for the
> > > effort as opposed to administrative costs.
> > >
> > > very little under charity law has to legally go
> > > direct efforts. does
> > > anyone have those percentages for the charities
> > > listed. how much of a given
> > > donation goes directly to the effort? it is my
> > > understanding that it can be
> > > as little as 5% per.

> You
> > > may obtain detailed
> > sending
> > > a one line e-mail
> > body
> > > of the message should

> > one
> > > line e-mail message to
> > > message should read

> > > Important Subscriber Information:
> > >
> > > The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> > > http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You
> > may
> > > obtain detailed information about the listserv
> > > commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> > > [log in to unmask] . The body of the
> > > message should read "help" (without the quotes).
> > >
> > > If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a
> one
> > > line e-mail message to
> > > . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> > > Museum-L" (without the quotes).
> > >

> > Indigo Nights
> >

> Indigo Nights

Indigo Nights