Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:20:55 EST
I responded to a similar inquiry from someonec somewhere (one
loses track), recommending the "Swiss Open-Air Museum" in
Ballenberg. This is nearest to Brienz, and buses leave from the
Bahnhof parking lot. I cautioned that Brienz, being noted for
its woodcarvers, and on the main Zurit-Luzern-Interlaken-Thun-Bern
rail line, and picturesque as hell, usually has accomodations
soldly "complet." And don't even get me started on Interlaken.
If I had to stay close by, I would opt for Meiringen. The
Zurich-Bern _Schnellzug_ runs into Meringen and back out. As
the train line only goes beyond as far as Innertkirchen,
accomodations may be looser there. And while there, see the
Reichenbach Falls, where Holmes and Moriarity fought to the (?)
death. From Italy come up through Lugano (where I would be
today if I could only win the lotto. Beyond there the Alps
scenically but inconveniently intervene, so the choice of
roundabout route is up to you.
Adio

According to Neila Girdzijauskaite: