From:
janice klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:57:40 -0600
At 03:29 PM 3/5/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Does any museum take an object's monetary value into consideration when
>they are deaccessioning? I have read numerous deaccesion policies which
>include donation of objects to another museum; sale of objects to
>another museum; trade/exchange of objects to another museum; and
>exchange of objects for fair value.

The Registrars Committee of the American Association of Museums has
been working on deaccessioning policies and procedures for the last
five years.  Roberta Frey Gilboe at the Detroit Institute of Arts is
the Chair of our Subcommittee on this topic.  She has been collecting
deaccessioning documents and would be the best source of information
currently available on museums' policies and practices.  RC-AAM Members
should feel free to contact her; non-members should feel slightly guilty
about not joining the RC-AAM, but can contact her anyhow!

Janice Klein
Chair, RC-AAM
The Field Museum