From:
Heidi Campbell-Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:02:54 -0500
One of our biggest fundraisers is our "Treasured Heirloom Event" which we
have been holding for six years. We just held it this past Saturday in fact.
The event is not held at our facility but at a seperate venue, most recently
we've had it in the indoor courtyard at a small local mall. We have 15-20
"experts" to evaluate items brought in by participants. Notice that I did
not use the words appraisers or appraisal. What the people get is a verbal
estimation of the item's worth and other relevant information. In addition
we have representatives from the Washington Conservator's Guild set up so
that people interested in how to best care for their items can consult
professionals at no cost.

Our paid staff, me included, staff the event (sell tickets, direct people to
the correct expert, manage our hospitality room set up for the experts and
volunteers) we are not involved with assessing value or handling objects.
The owners of the objects are in posession of their items at all times.We
have not had any of the problems you bring up in your post. Throughout the
year people do call to ask about putting a value on an item they have (I
normally take these calls) and I tell them the same thing that I tell donors
who want an assessment of value for an artifact they are giving to us. I
cannot give them a value, that is not my job, I give them the names of three
appraisers in the area who they can contact.

Often we have found that value turns out not to be the primary interest. The
"expert" tells them about their item, often including where and/or when it
was made, how it was used, etc. they come away with not only information
about monetary value but also knowledge about the object and how to better
care for it.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf
Curator
Historical Society of Frederick County