From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:54:32 -0500
>...until they asked us to have our
>insurance company add a clause stating that the items would be insured
>against the depredations of mites, parasites, and rodents.  Our insurance
>company (a well-respected U.S. fine arts insuror) refused, saying, in
>effect, that that would be much the same as buying flood insurance for a
>house perched on a riverbank.

Sort of a funny thing for them to say.  If you are confident that you will
have no incursions of mites, parasites, or rodents, then surely they would
get a quote for you on a rider.

Another option, is to have the lender insure and you pay the premium (more
expensive - but at least they will have the coverage they want).

>We may also
>(under the guidance of a local conservator), put the textiles in the
>freezer for a few days before we return them to France after the show.

This amounts to a treatment - if you do this - you better have the lenders
permission first.

Good luck and let us know what happens...

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568