From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 11:55:45 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-30 21:45:05 EDT, [log in to unmask] (David Butts)
writes:

>I am currently undertaking a research project on the representation of women
>in museum exhibitions. In preparation for this research I would like to make
>contact with curators or education staff in women's history or art museums.
>The objective of this communication would be to collect information about
>policy, programmes and specific exhibitions, especially those that have been
>published.

Kirsty,

At the risk of telling you how to do your own project, I am confused by your
sample pool. It would seem to me that women's history and women's art museum
(i.e. Washington, DC's National Museum of Women in the Arts) would, of
course, be focused on women (NMWA did a wonderful photography show on Frieda
Kahlo by her lover, to name one). Would you not get a more interesting and
more accurate picture of women in museums by looking at the representation of
women in non-traditional settings? Why bring this up? Well, recently we
completed a travelling exhibit that looked at a particular firearm. It was
very difficult to represent women in the exhibit b/c firearms are perceived
to be a "man" thing - but we did. I would think the challenge of representing
women in exhibits would be in science museums, western history, living
history, to name a few. At the risk of belittling women's museums (which I am
not!) the results in a "non-traditional for women field" museum would be far
more creative and inspired than in a women's history museum. Good luck with
your project.

- Adrienne