From:
"Michael A. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:47:48 -0800
At 2:40 PM 7/2/98, E. L. Wimett wrote:

>As both a Collections Manager and an Information Systems Manager (dual
>appointment at our museum by design)

        I found this mini-job description most interesting and,
unfortunately, unusual. I have a feeling, based mostly on personal
experience, that information management, database management, LAN
management and other things computerized, tend to get pushed off on staff
who have the skills, whether or not their official job description
encompasses such duties. The Collections Manager who has built a
functioning database/server/LAN system for his or her own department often
is saddled with computer maintenence and trouble-shooting for the entire
institution.
        I'm curious how many institutions represented on this list have an
officially designated Information Manager, Computer Systems Manager, or
some other job description that officially recognizes the need for formal
computer management, institution-wide.
        If folks would like to e-mail me off-list, I'll prepare a summary
to post here.

        Michael A. Lewis
        Archaeology Collections Manager
        University of Alaska Museum