Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:27:48 -0500
Colleagues:

Coming from a Museum that has suffered budget cuts, and yet has been
able to take responsible strides in serving the public without closing,
I was distressed to read the article in the New York Times this morning
about the Smithsonian budget cuts which would delay the re-opening of
the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the National Portrait Gallery in
Washington.  These are two really great collections in the middle of
downtown DC.  I find it disheartening for our professional community -
not to mention the public! that the building will be closed for such a
long period.  It is my understanding (and experience) that people want
to see American Art - maybe now more than ever.    (If you want to see
the article it was by Celestine Bohlen in the 12/12/01 edition of the
NYTimes.)

Closing (or remaining closed) doesn't seem to me like the right option.
It's my understanding, from friends in DC, that if we write to our guys
below, at least our voices will be heard!  Surely there are other more
creative and prudent ways to manage the budgets and allocations than to
have these museums open a whole year after they were scheduled to.
Percentage for the arts is so incredibly small as it is in this
country.  Anyway, PHONE or FAX because  (and this is confirmed)  the
mail service is being still being held up for decontamination!

So call these guys or send them a fax!  Hope the rest of you are doing
okay.

Suzanne Quigley

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Honorable Mitchell E. Daniels, Jr.
Director, Office of Management and Budget
Eisenhower Executive Office Building
17th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Room 252
Washington, DC  20503
202-395-4840
202-395-3888 (fax)

The Honorable Richard B. Cheney
Vice President
Eisenhower Executive Office Building
17th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Room 276
Washington, DC  20503
[log in to unmask]  (hey!  he has people who read his email!)

Mr. Andrew H. Card
Chief of Staff to the President
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW