From:
Martin Taureg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 17:08:20 +0100
While I've only been on this list for some weeks now, I've noticed postings
regarding database software for museums coming up every now and then. So I
suppose it's an on-going thread.

I would like to know whether there is anybody on this list having used a
British information management software called IDEALIST for museum purposes.

So far, I have only used it to manage addresses and bibliographic
references, but it seems to be a quite powerful mix of database and text
retrieval capabilities.

Some features I find useful are:
-       A database may have records with differing field structure.
-       A record may include several occurences of the same field.
-       Records can hold several pages of text.
-       You can search the entire database, or just particular fields.

IDEALIST has been developed by Blackwell Science Ltd, a publisher in Oxford
 (http://www.blacksci.co.uk); product info at
http://www.blackwell-science.com/PRODUCTS/IDEALIST/ABOUTIDE.HTM), and is
distributed by BEKON (e-mail: [log in to unmask]), a company in
Stockport, Cheshire. There are 16-bit and 32-bit Windows versions; there
used to be a version for the Mac, as well, but I am not sure if it's still
available.

Martin Taureg
Photo Archives Programme Coordinator /
Coordinateur du Programme des Archives Photographiques

PROGRAMME DES MUSEES DE L'AFRIQUE DE L'OUEST /
WEST AFRICAN MUSEUMS PROGRAMME (WAMP)
140, Rue Moussé Diop
B. P. 357
Dakar, SENEGAL

Phone / Téléphone:          (++221) 22 50 57
Fax / Télécopie:            (++221) 22 12 33
E-mail / Courrier électronique:       [log in to unmask]