From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:57:29 -0400
Yes, we have a mess of ourselves all through history, haven't we?

I work with at-risk children as a volunteer mentor.  Undoing their mind-set
(kill the SOBs) is the most challenging part of the work.  I'd suggest Deb
and any others who are interested begin getting to know some of those who
are 12-14 years old.  Then, report back.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net

>Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>

>In the events of the last ten days, have we forgotten how in America we
>glorify violence in so many ways, especially among our youth?

Okay, I'm going to throw up the "moot point" flag here. As a kid who grew up
playing Dungeons & Dragons as well as playing GI Joe with the boys. Exposure
to violence does not make one violent.

Case in point: Japan. Some of the most explicitly violent material I have
ever seen has come out of Japan in the form of anime (cartoons), comic books
and video games. It also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Let us not forget that through the ages, humans all over the world have
"glorified" violence in one way or another. From the Roman coliseums to Duke
Nuke 'em, let's face it, we're a violent species. The only thing that has
changed over the years is how we enact that violence.

To me, the key isn't showing violence in whatever form, but changing our
attitudes towards our fellow human beings that's the key. A rah-rah
reenactor or school-yard bully isn't going to be less violent by taking away
their flintlocks and video games. They'll only become less violent if they
gain a basic respect for humans in general.

Deb