From:
Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 08:39:56 -0700
Tiffany:

I have been working with both archaeological and ethnographic applications
of the Canadian Cultural Property Export and Import Act for 15 years, and
have some excellent examples of how and where the Act works, and more
importantly doesn't work.

I would be pleased to attach information on these.  Please confirm your
email address as [log in to unmask]  I don't want to post several
pages of  case studies etc. to the entire list.

In summary, the Act needs specific revision to broaden the expert
examination procedure of ethnographic and archaeological materials to
include the recommendations of First Nations as well as the museum experts.
With regards to archaeological collections, the main problem is evaluation.
The assignment of fair market value is inherent in the process of retention
of the artifact/collection in Canada through purchase.  Most archaeologists
will not evaluate such collections in an effort to discourage illegal
looting of sites.  This has led to the unfettered export of important
objects and collections.

I would be interested in hearing about your research on the Australian
Protection     of Movable Cultural Heritage Act.

Barbara Winter

>I am currently researching the effectiveness of The Australian Protection

>of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986.  The Australian Act was modelled on

>its Canadian equivalent The Cultural Property Export and Import Act of

>Canada.

>I would be pleased to receive any information in relation to the Candadian

>Act or any other Legislation controlling the import/export of cultural

>objects.  I am especially interested in Museum workers' experiences with

>the Act and any problems associated, controversial decisions and

>statistical information referring to number of permits approved/rejected

>and control of illegal trafficking.

>Tiffany Jackson

>QUIT

Barbara J. Winter