From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:34:42 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, on Tue, 11
Apr 2000 at 12:43:12, Indigo Nights <URL: mailto:[log in to unmask]>
writes

>On the Adv-HTML list, a poster sets forth a question.
>The replies are sent to the poster off list.  Then it
>is the requirement that the poster must then provide a
>summary of responses received.

That's OK if the question is for simple facts, but most answers are
matters of opinion and answering to the list gives other people the
opportunity to challenge, or add to, the first responses. I think that
list's greatest benefit is as a _discussion_ list, not just a place to
post questions and receive one-time answers.

I like to sit on the sidelines and listen to the general buzz of
conversation, chipping in if I feel I have something to contribute. If
we had only "questions and summaries of answers" much of the
interactivity and mutual stimulation would be lost.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information        (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants               Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092