From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:23:57 -0400
Ms. Sperlin,

The film you may be thinking of that provides security and UV
protection is probably a component of laminated glass where a
membrane is bonded between two layers of glass (think of a car
windshield). It would have to be mounted in a secure frame. An
installation in an historic wood frame window would only be as strong
as the wood muntins.

You can find info about surface applied UV films at the NPS websites
listed below:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-10.pdf

http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/tps/technotes/PTN30/Introduction.htm

Mike McHugh