From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:47:32 -0700
Victoria,

This is not excatly the sort of project that a summer intern should be
responsible for. Doing the resarch and finding other IPM plans yes,
but drafting the plan yourself requires more thorough
knowledge/experience and also a professional assement of the structure
where the collections are stored.

The overall goal of IPM is to have a comprehensive monitoring strategy
so you have a precsie profile of what sort and species of pests are
getting into the building and where they are coming from. Based on
that data (kept and maintained in a log) you can then undertake all
sorts of preventive measures. Spraying or bombing the building with
chemicals is the method of control that is the last resort. It is in
the interest (and profit) of a pest control company to use the
chemicals on a regular schedule so don"t just turn over the whole
thing to them. Once an IPM plan is drafted and the msueum staff /
volunteers are trained, then the monitoring should be done in-house.

This is also a good project for a small preservation grant that could
be done through a number of agencies.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey