From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:53:04 -0600
Here is the periodic posting of the Museum-L FAQ file. Please be aware that
I am in transition with my job right now and I cannot keep up with all
requests for subscription changes.

>               The Museum Discussion List (Museum-L)
>                  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
>                    Last Revised:  July 6, 1998
>
>1. OUTLINE.
>     2. PURPOSE.
>     3. HISTORY.
>     4. OWNER.
>     5. SOFTWARE.
>     6. JOINING / SUBSCRIBING.
>          6.1  From the Internet.
>          6.2  From CompuServe.
>          6.3  From America OnLine.
>         6.4  From L-Soft's Web site
>     7. LEAVING / UNSUBSCRIBING.
>     8. POSTING MESSAGES.
>          8.1  From the Internet.
>          8.2  From BITNET.
>          8.3  From CompuServe.
>          8.4  From America OnLine.
>     9. MANAGING / CONTROLLING YOUR MESSAGES.
>          9.1  NOMAIL/MAIL Option.
>          9.2  REVIEW Command.
>          9.3  NOREPRO Command.
>          9.4  DIGEST Option.
>          9.5  OPTIONS Command.
>    10. USENET GROUP.
>    11. ARCHIVES.
>    12. RELATED DISCUSSION LISTS.
>    13. RETENTION OF THE MUSEUM-L FAQ.
>    14. COPIES OF THE MUSEUM-L FAQ.
>    15. AUTHORS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.

>2. PURPOSE.
>
>Museum-L is a general purpose, cross-disciplinary electronic discussion
>list for museum professionals, students, and all others interested in
>museum related issues.  All museum related topics are acceptable for
>posting and discussion at this time.  Membership in Museum-L is open to
>anyone with e-mail service.

>3. HISTORY.
>
>Museum-L was started in April 1991.  Membership has grown rapidly and
>totaled 1099 on Nov. 1, 1994.  The volume of message varies from a "few"
>per day, up to as many as 50 messages per day during peak periods.
>Museum-L was linked with USENET in September 1994.  This cross-link is
>full functioning link with messages going in both directions. As of September
>11, 1996, there are more than 1400 subscribers in 30 countries.
>
>With the phasing out of BITNET the University of New Mexico switched
>e-mail distribution software to Listprocessor software on July 2, 1996.
>Because of differences in the functionality of Listprocessor and
>LISTSERV, it became necessary to find a new home for Museum-L.
>
>Museum-L is supported on L-Soft's Listserv software, version 1.8c, and
>is hosted by L-Soft International and Eric Thomas as of August 25, 1996.

>4. OWNER.
>
>John Chadwick is the "owner", i.e. manager, of the Museum-L discussion
>list.  Please direct any questions you have about the Museum-L to him
>at:  [log in to unmask]
>     OR

>5. SOFTWARE.
>
>Museum-L is an electronic discussion list, based on a Pentium PC. The mail
>server is a Digital Equipment Corporation AlphaServer 2100 capable of
>processing up to 90 e-mail messages per second. The LISTSERV software used to
> [...]

John Chadwick, Ed.D. Web Administrator and Distance Learning Manager
Office of Cultural Affairs/State of New Mexico
228 East Palace Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
[log in to unmask]     http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/
phone: (505) 841-2843 FAX (505) 841-2866 Cellular (505) 264-4460