From:
Shawn Weisser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:14:36 -0400
When I was teaching Sociology at the High School, we covered death and dying. One thing the students did was write their own epitaph and design their own gravestones. 3D, not just a picture. They had to build it. These were Seniors, and the activity was never used for younger grades. You might get the kids to create their own with examples of the ones they see and for a historical aspect, look for the oldest person to die and the youngest person. Also, give the kids a date of a period where many people in the area died from tragedy or illness and have them tally the graves, and make a stats sheet. Age, gender...

Shawn M. Weisser